UNIX as a PC file server

kehres at styx.UUCP kehres at styx.UUCP
Fri Jan 30 12:46:06 AEST 1987

In article <1848 at cbdkc1.UUCP> joe at dkc1.UUCP (Joseph T. Judge CB 1K336 x7119 KBR) writes:
> In article <111 at eli.UUCP> geller at eli.UUCP (David P. Geller) writes:
> >Has anyone crafted a simple fileserver mechanism using a fairly
> >generic version of UNIX and one or more PC's. I'm looking for
> >something that is close to being functionally equivalent to
> >Suns NFS-PCNFS environment without a LAN - using serial lines.
> >This would require, I imagine, the following:
> >

> 	I have worked with pc-interface. I used AT&T 6300 with a 3B2.
> One way to use it is to attach your Unix login (directory) as an extra
> drive for the PC. Another dept. used it for file server - PCs using
> Wordstar(tm), Unix is lp spooler for huge group of these.
> Kind of neat. Don't have the info on it (its been a year) but could
> get it if intereset is there.

The company that markets this is:

	Locus Computing Corporation
	3330 Ocean Park Blvd.
	Santa Monica, CA  90405
	(213) 452-2435

The contact there I have been working with is Julie Reeder.  She seems
to be pretty responsive.  We have not used this product yet, but from the
demo's that we have received, it looks pretty good.  We should be getting
a copy shortly.  One additional point - there is a set of C callable routines
that allows you to develop applications that take advantage of resources both
in the UNIX and DOS environments.

Tim Kehres
Control Data Corporaton / Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory