UNIX as a PC file server

David P. Geller geller at eli.UUCP
Thu Jan 15 18:54:27 AEST 1987

Has anyone crafted a simple fileserver mechanism using a fairly
generic version of UNIX and one or more PC's. I'm looking for
something that is close to being functionally equivalent to
Suns NFS-PCNFS environment without a LAN - using serial lines.
This would require, I imagine, the following:

	* an interface and protocol between the UNIX and PC system(s)
	* a device driver for the PC
	* a few primative application programs for the PC, sharedmail,
	  sharedfile, etc.

I would hope that PC and UNIX could talk fairly well, albeit slowly,
at, say, 19K with a protocol that does stream compression. Any pointers?

Remember - something so that a PC can just copy and use drive d:, for
example --- not someone logging into UNIX and using Xmodem, Kermit, etc.