Bringing up 4.3BSD, a half-step at a time

jordan at ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP jordan at ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP
Tue Jan 27 10:27:38 AEST 1987

Keith Muller <muller at sdcc7.ucsd.EDU> writes:

	One trick I tired and it worked was I used 4.3 rdist to upgrade
	4.2 machines.  I moved rdist to the 4.2 machine, made a kernel
	for the 4.2 machine on the 4.3 machine moved the kernel to the
	4.2 machine and let rdist fix the binaries for the 4.2
	machine.  (I just made sure that /etc was the LAST thing rdist
	updated).

Two things:

	1) The original poster was working from *no* 4.3 machines, so
	   although this is nice for propagating 4.3 around the net, it
	   doesn't solve his problem of getting it up from the tape.

	2) I have had no problems with rdist'ing /etc first, rebooting
	   and then bringing over the rest ... my big problem (the first
	   time ... *sigh*) was that I rdist'ed /bin/csh which doesn't
	   run too well under 4.2 which rdist needed ... luckilly, the
	   4.2 csh works under 4.3, so do /etc first (so the network will
	   come up correctly after the reboot, and then get the rest.

/jordan