Bringing up 4.3BSD, a half-step at a time

muller at sdcc7.UUCP muller at sdcc7.UUCP
Sun Jan 25 06:11:32 AEST 1987

One trick I tired and it worked was I used 4.3 rdist to upgrade 4.2 machines.
I moved rdist to the 4.2 machine, made a kernel for the 4.2 machine on the
4.3 machine moved the kernel to the 4.2 machine and let rdist fix the
binaries for the 4.2 machine. I updated the boot blocks, and rebooted to the
4.3 kernel. fsck complained a bit (minor things) and I was up. This took
a few hours wall time, but very little work on my part. Things were real funky
while the rdist was running, but that was expected. (I just made sure that /etc
was the LAST thing rdist updated).

	Keith Muller
	University of California, San Diego