tftp bug on 4.2BSD Unix

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Fri Jan 9 01:03:57 AEST 1987

In article <43200001 at uicsrd> sharma at uicsrd.UUCP writes:
>When transferring large text or binary files from the PC to the
>Vax, timeout occurs consistently after 10K bytes - and it takes
>150 (+- 3) seconds to do the transfer. ... Does anybody out there
>know what should be changed?

The whole thing.

The 4.2BSD tftp was largely broken.  Borrow the 4.3BSD version.
The 4.2 tftp manual page, under BUGS, mentions

	Due to the unreliability of the transport protocol (UDP)
	and the scarcity of TFTP implementations, it is uncertain whether
	it really works.

What this really means is

	We got our tftp to talk to itself, but we had no idea
	where to find another one to talk to, so we doubt that it
	really works.
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu