UNIX-WIZARDS Digest V3#044

Richard Mathews lcc.rich-wiz at LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
Tue Jan 20 04:22:46 AEST 1987

> The "AIM" benchmarks are marketed by AIM Technologies...
> The claim is that the programs will run on practically any machine that has
> a C compiler that complies with K&R.

The AIM benchmarks have looked pretty good to me, and have provided some
useful results; but I would not say that they would run on any machine.
For example, I recently noticed that they contain "wait(0)" rather than
"wait((int *) 0)".  I believe that they do run on small model 80*86 despite
this kind of thing, but forget large model and a lot of other architectures.

Disclaimer: This, of course, only reflects my personal opinion.

Richard M. Mathews
Locus Computing Corporation		       lcc.richard at LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
					       lcc.richard at UCLA-CS
				 {ihnp4,trwrb}!lcc!richard
       {randvax,sdcrdcf,ucbvax,trwspp}!ucla-cs!lcc!richard