System V lp setup

metro at asi.UUCP metro at asi.UUCP
Sat Mar 7 10:08:44 AEST 1987

In article <343 at gssc.UUCP>, jdm at gssc.UUCP (John D. Miller) writes:
> i hereby cuss and swear vehemently at the UNIX System V (read 3B2) lp setup.
> more precisely, lpadmin and the whole /usr/spool/lp directory.

I have found the LP spooler system to be very powerful, and able to handle
every requirement we have had.  This includes multiple printers, and multiple
forms queue for each and any printer.

> when trying to bring up a new printer (a laserwriter) one cannot write a new
> model and stuff it in the .../lp/model directory and specify it as a new
> model.  it seems as though lpadmin is HARD CODED to a handful of not very
> useful model types.

I have experienced this problem also.  However, I found that setting the mode,
owner, and group to the same settings as the supplied models corrected the
problem.  Also, I believe if you use the "-i<filename>" option, lpadmin will
read the interface from the specified file (I.E. current directory).

> furthermore, if i delete the pstatus and qstatus files, i would expect that
> they would be recreated as necessary by SOME command, like lpadmin or even
> accept.  but they all complain that they can't open the file, or that the
> printer has "disappeared."

Sorry, I am not familiar with these files.  I tend to let LP handle modifying
its own files.

> in short, lpadmin is a pain, and the System V manuals don't make it any easier.

It is some what obscure.  However in the Utilities Volume ?? manual is a
fairly extensive discussion of the LP System.

> i have NO documentation on the contents of the /usr/spool/lp directory (at
> least not that i know of, as all things are hard to find in the "new and
> improved" at&t manuals) except what is in the lpadmin man page.
>

> Bitch, Bitch, Bitch.
>
> in real life:  John D. Miller, Graphic Software Systems, Inc., Beaverton OR
> ...!{tektronix!verdix}!sequent!gssc!jdm

If you have any questions, I would be more than will to give you a hand.
--
Metro T. Sauper, Jr.                              Assessment Systems, Inc.
Director, Remote Systems Development              210 South Fourth Street