System V lp setup

jmc at ptsfa.UUCP jmc at ptsfa.UUCP
Fri Mar 6 09:39:02 AEST 1987

In article <343 at gssc.UUCP> jdm at gssc.UUCP (John D. Miller) writes:

>in short, lpadmin is a pain, and the System V manuals don't make it any easier.

There IS a tutorial on lp. For example, see Chapter 7, LP spooling system
in your "administrator's guide".

>	1. lpadmin should not be hardcoded with the model names, and

It is not. You can create any model you like. For example, the tutorial
has sections on "introducing new destinations", "printer interface programs"
etc. By the way, you are right about the pstatus and qstatus files not
being automagically created. A definate hole in the system.

>	2. the new System V manuals are AWFULL!!!!...

You are missing some manuals. The full set is not perfect by any means but
some parts are improved from the pre V.2 versions.

>i vehemently oppose spreading the same information over MANY manuals.

There should definately be a reorganization, or at least, a ROADMAP.
Part of my problem is finding the right manual. My personal flame
concerns making the manuals so small. Most should be 81/2 x 11 so there
would be fewer of them. I've got almost a linear YARD of manuals.

--
voice= 415 823-2441
uucp={ihnp4,dual,qantel}!ptsfa!jmc