Unix userid conventions

zellich at ALMSA-1.arpa zellich at ALMSA-1.arpa
Tue Mar 10 01:10:40 AEST 1987

Actually, if your installation has a need for the extra login security, then
assigning "cryptic" userids is a fairly good idea - the userid and password
should \both/ be protected (although you can't really hide the userid from
other legitimate users of the system without moving to some kind of a "secure"
variant of Unix).  No sweat on e-mail - you just set up useful aliases for
each user the same way we do now; nothing says a user's login id and mail id
have to be the same (and there can be multiple aliases for mail, so nobody has
to remember if I'm "richz" or "rzellich" or "zellich" or "amxalfpi" (an office
symbol here)).