crypt

DEBBE%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU at XX.LCS.MIT.EDU DEBBE%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU at XX.LCS.MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 10 11:49:22 AEST 1987

I doubt this belongs in Unix-wizards, but in the hope of forestalling any further mail on this topic I will tell you what my State Department (export control
division) contact told me.

There are generic categories of object which it is not permissible to export
(supercomputers, fighter planes, crypto algorithms).  Some things (CRAY's) need
an individual export license for each instance to be shipped overseas.  Other
things can be approved as a class, at least for shipment to "friendly nations."

But without someone who has a motive to do the paperwork, anything in these
classes will remain legally unexportable, irrespective of the actual danger
it may pose to America's security.

It would therefore be a mistake to conclude that there is anyone in the
US government who thinks that the Adversary does not know all about
crypt() or numerous other exciting algorithms.  On the other hand, I'm
not saying there isn't someone...

Matt Wilbert (c/o Debbe at oz.ai.mit.edu)