crypt and export licensing

Tovar TVR%CCRMA-F4 at SAIL.Stanford.EDU
Wed Mar 11 06:13:59 AEST 1987

For the record, i agree with Matt Wilbert's remarks.  I would just like to
comment that in some cases, the export regulations may be more useful
politically than militarily (e.g. to avoid the appearence of giving away
something that might be perceived as "sensitive", even those all or most of
our "adversaries" have it or even better).  In some cases, we end up with the
ironic situation that "friendly nations" can't get what the "adversaries" have
had for years!  As was pointed out, there are some people laboring under the
delusion that certain things widely available in the U.S. are still not
available in distant places overseas.  I hope this (so far) brief discussion
dispels that myth at least among this mailing list.  Unless alot of folk here
feel like bringing up the matter with their elected representatives, we'd be
better off getting back to UNIX-related matters.
							-- Tovar