ptrace in unix tracing non-child processes

Brandon Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Wed Apr 20 13:11:09 AEST 1988

As quoted from <352 at tandem.UUCP> by narayan at tandem.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram):
+---------------
| Has any one considered implementing a `xptrace ()' which can
| debug non-child processes. This will get one the ability to
| debug processes such as daemons that are already running.

Plexus System V and a few other System V's I've seen have ptrace() requests
8 and 9 which do this.  I'm not sure if it's a System V feature or a special
hack added by certain Unix resellers.
--
	      Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
	{well!hoptoad,uunet!marque,cbosgd,sun!mandrill}!ncoast!allbery