access(2) (was: Writing to A NON-Existing File in "C")

Greg Limes limes at sun.uucp
Tue Apr 26 06:24:31 AEST 1988

In article <898 at cresswell.quintus.UUCP> ok at quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>The SVID says "su will execute a new environment with the real and
>effective user ID set to that of the specified user", though it remains
>completely quiet about the group id.  However, not all UNIX systems are
>System V.  Anyone know which variants do what?

SunOS version 4.0 "su" sets both the real and effective userid, and
both real and effective group id; I have not investigated what it does
to the group list. I keep on hand a nifty little utility called "be"
that sets only the effective userid; it comes in handy quite often.
--
   Greg Limes [limes at sun.com]				frames to /dev/fb