command line options (UNIX-specific)

Guy Harris guy at gorodish.Sun.COM
Wed Apr 20 16:37:49 AEST 1988

> If memory serves me correctly, ATT have a French and German
> Application Environment available since 5.3.1 and according to
> information from them at that time the support was at the
> kernel level, which implies that one could create a file with
> a French or German name.....well mabye not.....

It's not a question of adding support; it's a question of not adding, or of
subtracting, opposition.  The V7 file system that S5 uses never prohibited
8-bit characters in file names; many vendors (including Sun, in SunOS 4.0)
have removed that prohibition from their 4.2BSD file system code.

> they also mentioned the utilities that were changed to provide 8-bit
> support, rm was not one of them. This may have changed since.

Again, it's not a question of adding support.  "rm" will take whatever
character strings it has been handed and will pass them on to "unlink".  The
reason they didn't list it is that it didn't have to change.