command line options (UNIX-specific)

Dennis G. Rears FSAC drears at ardec.arpa
Tue Apr 19 16:00:32 AEST 1988

From: Dave Decot <decot at hpisod2.HP.COM> writes:
->
->Why don't we bite the bullet and change our kernels to refuse
->to create files whose names begin with a hyphen or contain
->non-printing characters (unless special arrangements are made
->by the user to permit it)?
->
    NO!!!!!   NYET!!!!!!!  NO!!!!!!

  Kernels are big enough without adding features(bugs) to prevent
users from causing damage due to their own ignorance.  Put it in
programs like cp (mv, ln), sh, ksh, csh, vi (ex, view), etc but not
the kernel.  There is enough crap in it now.  What would you have the
kernel return for an open(2) statement? [EDUHSCFN] (Error Dumb User
Has Stupid Characters in file name :-)  ).

...Dennis
ARPA:	drears at ardec-ac4.arpa	UUCP:  	...!uunet!ardec-ac4.arpa!drears
AT&T:	201-724-6639		Snailmail:	Box 210, Wharton, NJ 07885
Flames:	/dev/null		Reincarnation: newton!babbage!patton!drears
Work:	SMCAR-FSS-E, Dennis Rears, Bldg 94, Picatinny Ars, NJ 07806