command line options

Paul Lew lew at gsg.UUCP
Sat Apr 9 02:40:38 AEST 1988

In article <7628 at brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:

> Under the existing getopts scheme, typing
> 	command -?
> is guaranteed to get the usage message.

Why use '?' character?  I especially hate to type: command '-?' to avoid
'?' to be expanded by shell.  In Bourne shell, if you dont have any file
like: -a, -x then -? will work without quoting.  This is not true for csh.
Choosing something that is not a special character might have less problem
running on different environment.  How about -H instead?  Any program uses
-H beside sysline?
--
Paul Lew			{oliveb,harvard,decvax}!gsg!lew	(UUCP)
General Systems Group, 5 Manor Parkway, Salem, NH 03079	(603) 893-1000