command line options

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sat Apr 9 05:12:07 AEST 1988

In article <143 at gsg.UUCP> lew at gsg.UUCP (Paul Lew) writes:
-Why use '?' character?  I especially hate to type: command '-?' to avoid
-'?' to be expanded by shell.  In Bourne shell, if you dont have any file
-like: -a, -x then -? will work without quoting.  This is not true for csh.
-Choosing something that is not a special character might have less problem
-running on different environment.  How about -H instead?  Any program uses
--H beside sysline?

You miss the point; -? already has the desired property; it does not
have to be explicitly added to every application.  I'm sorry if you
choose to use a shell that makes this too difficult to type.