Net help

Dennis G. Rears FSAC drears at ardec.arpa
Fri Apr 8 09:14:05 AEST 1988

Dave Schulz writes:

->Greetings:
->     Could somebody out there please send me some information on how to
->send messages from ARPAnet to people who only have UUCP or BITNET
->addresses?  For example I know a person at Penn State (State Penn :-)  )
->that I would like to send mail to but I can't seem to get there from here.

    I don't know BITNET but uucp you can try uunet.  If they want to
send you mail the address would be:

...uunet!belvoir-mail1.arpa!dschultz

The ... means a site that can connect to uunet.

You can send mail to them as USER%SITE.uucp at uunet.uu.net

This will work for about 250 registered sites.  If PENN State is not
registered they can send it via a site like seismo.  Uunet works as a
bridge for the sites connected to it; it doesn't work for all of them.
I might get killed for saying this but contact Rick Adams
<rick at seismo.CSS.GOV> for more info.  Tell me if you want a complete
list.

    Also check to see if you can find a gateway that will transfer
mail both ways.  Some places (e.g. Rutgers.edu, brl.arpa ) have both
uucp and milnet access.

->     Also, there seems to be other mailing lists that don't show up on
->     the list of lists; I would like to access some of these but don't
->know how.  Reply to me AND/OR this list.......but please reply!!!!
->:-)
    You need to contact people on those lists.  I assume you mean
things like the USENET groups like os.comp.vms or rec.music.beatles.
For that weasel yourself an account on a University machine.

   I help that helps.  Let me know if you need any more info.

...Dennis
ARPA:		drears at ardec-ac4.arpa
UUCP:   	...!uunet!ardec-ac4.arpa!drears
AT&T:		201-724-6639
Snailmail:	Box 210, Wharton, NJ 07885
Govt Nonmail:	US Army ARDEC, ATTN SMCAR-FSS-E, Dennis Rears
		Bldg 94, Picatinny Arsenal, NJ 07806
Flames:		/dev/null
Quotes:		The Human Body is merely a tool for converting
		the finest wine into urine.  For some people
	        that is the only function they can do right.