errant files

VEC2098%RITVAX.BITNET at cornellc.ccs.cornell.edu VEC2098%RITVAX.BITNET at cornellc.ccs.cornell.edu
Fri Apr 29 07:55:20 AEST 1988

>From:  gov%"bowles at lll-crg.llnl.gov" 28-APR-1988 14:26

>Looks like the file in question has a strange character in its name,
>e.g. a file with an invisible control character. There are several
>ways to proceed, and the easiest way follows:
>    $ rm -fr .
>ANSWER "no" or "n" to all files - which means "don't remove this one"
>- except the errant file you wish to delete. Proceed slowly, or you can
>accidently remove all files.

>    Jeff Bowles

        I received this answer to my question about errant files and it
worked just fine.
        I am posting this because someone told me to crash my system to
solve the errant file problem. That sound a bit drastic to me. Check your
manuals. In version 3.51 of sys 5 I had to use rm -fri <dirname> and I
was able to delete the errant file. Hope this helps anyone who feels that
they must crash the system to delete a file.

        "Its a good thing we had on our Bat Thermal Underwear Robin!"

                                                        Batman

        Vance E. Cochrane
        Dept. of Computer Engineering
        Rochester Institute of Technology