command line options

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Mon Apr 11 15:45:10 AEST 1988

In article <583 at mtxinu.UUCP> ed at mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) writes:
>Actually, I think that you miss the point.  What shell do you use that
>doesn't expand -? when it matches a file name?  The point is that this
>use in getopt() abuses an existing construct.

Ok, so use -, instead of -? if you have problems with the latter.
The only reason I called it -? is that I KNOW that ? is not a possible
getopt() option, whereas with , you're just relying on the utility
designer being moderately sane.

I don't consider exploiting features of a design to necessarily be
abusing anything.  Otherwise almost all of UNIX would be one big abuse.