UUCP over X25 on Sun 3

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Sat Apr 16 14:19:42 AEST 1988

In article <287 at tauros.UUCP> treval at tauros.UUCP (Trevor Luker) writes:
>	has anyone got any idea as to whether it is possible to run uucp
>	(uucico) over the Sun X25 link software.

The biggest problem you'll have in Luxembourg is that Sun's UUCP does not have
the 'f' protocol. This is a seven-bit, printable-ASCII-only, streaming, non
packetized uucp protocol that is a must over international X.25 links. If you
have a source license, you could run 4.3BSD (which includes 'f') or HoneyDan-
Ber (to which 'f' can be trivially added).

UUCP source would also solve the other half of your problem: you could write a
C-code dialer for the SunLink X.25 interface.  But you're out of luck without
a source license, or until GNUUCP is ready.

I am amazed that Sun does not yet support UUCP/X.25. While there are only a
few sites in the USA that use UUCP/X.25 extensively (uunet, pyramid, hplabs,
maybe two or three more), it is almost _de_rigeur_ in Europe and Canada. Maybe
if enough of us rattle the bars on Sun's cage, we can convince the powers that
be to provide Bill Shannon with the extra body he needs to port and support a
new UUCP version....

Uh, anyone know if Ultrix supports UUCP/X.25?

<csg>