Lots of NFS cross mounts?

Danny Backx dannyb at kulcs.uucp
Mon Apr 11 18:44:01 AEST 1988

In article <371 at ncifcrf.ncifcrf.gov> randy at ncifcrf.gov (The Computer Grue) writes:
>  information for many.  When a user logs in, the login program
>  automatically runs the quota program for all mounted file systems.
>  This looks for the file 'quotas' in the top directory of the mounted
>  file system.  This is, of course, an NFS access, and if the system
>  is down can cause login to hang for a *long* (well, relativeley
>  long.  A minute per fs) time.  There are two solutions.  One (what I
>  would recommend) is to mount all of those file systems with the
>  noquota option in fstab; this should prevent the check.  The other
>  (call it the quick and dirty method) is to make /usr/ucb/quota a
>  link to /bin/true.  That will sortof blow away the problem (at the
>  expense of quotas being runnable, but you get what you pay for . .
>  .)

An easy fix is to change the /bin/login program, which contains a line

	char QUOTAWARN[] = "/usr/ucb/quota" ;

into
	char QUOTAWARN[] = "/usr/ucb/quota &" ;

Advantage : you don't have to wait a few minutes before getting in the system.
Disadvantage : the output from quota appears a bit later, and may clobber your
screen contents...

It is a simple fix, though, that we are using for a few months now.

	Danny

 Danny Backx                            |  mail: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
 Tel: +32 16 200656 x 3058              |        Dept. Computer Science
 E-mail: dannyb at kulcs.UUCP              |        Celestijnenlaan 200 A
         ... mcvax!prlb2!kulcs!dannyb   |        B-3030 Leuven
         dannyb at blekul60.BITNET         |        Belgium