Lots of NFS cross mounts?

Larry Blair lmb at vsi1.UUCP
Fri Apr 8 11:03:03 AEST 1988

<In article <106600042 at datacube> berger at datacube.UUCP writes:
<
< We are planning to have about 30 Sun 3/50's and 3/60's on our network.
<
< One thing that makes us nerveous is a problem we have seen on our
< current set up. The problem is when one server is down but clients
< have partitions of the downed server NFS mounted.  The clients get
< bogged down even when they are not explicitly trying to access
< partitions on the downed server. We are using Soft mounts....

I'm not sure why things bog down, but we always mount hard,intr,retrans=10.
This eliminates the problem of lost writes that we kept seeing with soft
mounts.
down servers.  We had a lot