Real Time UNIX

Dave Gehrt dave at riacs.edu
Wed Apr 6 12:58:21 AEST 1988

In article <12825 at brl-adm.ARPA> REILLY at wharton.upenn.edu writes:
>I'm looking for a real time UNIX box...

There was an outfit in San Diego called Alcyon, sorry but I have no phone
number for them, who were the developers of REGULUS, which is a Unix like
operating system with some real time extensions.  I used this operating
system, but not for real real time, and it was OK.  The box (*not* an Alcyon
box) on which I used REGULUS had problems (not enough memory and a 68000 SBC)
which made the system more difficult to use than Unix.  Alcyon makes (or did
make) a VME system with REGULUS on it.

I seem to recall that at one time there was talk of AT&T annointing REGULUS as
a real time Unix.  REGULUS provides the capability to hook a user process to
an interrupt, and a couple of other system calls to support real time
operations.

Hpe this helps,
dave