FileNames with the high bit set.

Root Boy Jim rbj at icst-cmr.arpa
Fri Apr 15 09:49:30 AEST 1988

   From: Barry Shein <bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU>

   > I think vendors have finally realized that 7-bit ASCII is parochial.

   Yes, I agree it's bogus and interferes severely with some
   internationalization schemes. I believe vendors are starting to remove
   it from their 4BSD based systems.

Well, I'm probably gonna really get flamed for this, but here goes...

Um, don't you guys realize that if you implement international
character sets people are gonna start USING them? That's right, the
real threat to American security is not the commies, not Japanese
technology, not cheap Korean or Yugoslavian automobiles, it's programs
in another language. You wanna try hacking hack in Dutch? I say NO!
English is already the second language in the world. After all, they're
used to learning foreign languages and using them, we're not. We gave
away the hydrogen bomb, let's not give away the whole store.

	   -Barry Shein, Boston University

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	Uh-oh!!  I forgot to submit to COMPULSORY URINALYSIS!