filenames with the high bit set.

David Robinson david at elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
Tue Apr 12 18:49:06 AEST 1988

In article <49108 at sun.uucp>, guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
< > >(BTW, you *can't* create files that have names with truly arbitrary bytes in
< > >them; '/' and '\0' are not valid in UNIX file names - '/' separates *file*
< > >names in a *path* name, and '\0' terminates a path name.)
< >
< > If you're running NFS, the NFS _server_ (at least the one we're
< > running here) will let you put `/' in filenames, since it works at the
< > inode & filename level, not the pathname level.
< >
< That's obviously a bug, not a feature.  You can't create files containing "/"
< by using the official UNIX mechanisms for creating files.

What if the NFS server is not a *Unix* machine?  What if the client
is not a Unix machine?  There is no NFS error to indicate an illegal
file name character!

--
	David Robinson		elroy!david at csvax.caltech.edu     ARPA
				david at elroy.jpl.nasa.gov	  ARPA