UN*X license for BSD sources ???

Ed Gould ed at mtxinu.UUCP
Fri Aug 19 10:22:36 AEST 1988

>I am considering including a part of the tty driver from BSD in
>a product for non-un*x machines. It is the NTTYDISC part of the
>tty driver. Will it require an UN*X license to distribute it. I
>know that this code was developed in Austria somewhere, and did
>not originate in AT&T.

It will probably require an AT&T license.

The 4BSD license that the Regents of the University of California
require of all 4BSD recipients says, essentially, that the recipients
will treat *everything* on the distribution as if it were AT&T code
subject to the Unix license.

If you can get the original quthor to give you the code without this
restriction, or you can get a written disclaimer from the Regents
(which they don't do), then the AT&T license will be necessary.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2560 Ninth St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,uunet}!mtxinu!ed    +1 415 644 0146

"I'll fight them as a woman, not a lady.  I'll fight them as an engineer."