Stupid computers of yesteryear

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.UUCP
Sat Aug 6 01:01:39 AEST 1988

In article <12802 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>Ah, the joys of summer jobs in high school....  (And a lesson in
>spotting nerds: other kids mowed lawns or delivered papers; I
>programmed $100K systems test machines :-) .)
>--
>In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 7163)

[ i delivered papers in high school.  made damned good money.  just
  throw LOTS of papers. ]

i also wrote programs for TI SR-52s.  an engineer i worked for had
me write a collection of hydrostatics programs for TI and HP
calculators.  we actually designed a 200 ton inland waterways tug
using an ti-59.  the year after the MV Lane Thomas was launched,
we did derick barge design using an hp-41cv complete with tape drive
and video monitor.  i undertook writing a psuedo-operating system
for the 41.  and then apples and trs-80s became affordable, and faster
than a calculator ;-) but i did manage to get a few jobs to run in
a semi-batch mode before giving up the calculators for good.
--
John F. Haugh II                 +--------- Cute Chocolate Quote ---------
HASA, "S" Division               | "USENET should not be confused with