SVID changes

BALDWIN mike at whutt.UUCP
Sat Aug 6 01:34:32 AEST 1988

> > ...  Do remember that there have already been two releases of the SVID,
> > and nobody seriously believes there won't be more.
> >There have not been two versions of the SVID, there have been volumes added
> >to the SVID to cover developments in various areas, particularly networking.
> If there haven't been two versions of the SVID, why does my copy call itself
> "Issue 2" and list at the back a lot of differences between Issues 1 and 2?

The differences are typically clarifications or bug fixes to the documentation,
not changes in functionality.  For instance, CREAT(BA_OS) in Issue 1 stated
that the file mode bits were ANDed with the umask.  The changes section in
Issue 2 states that it should be "ANDed with the complement of the umask".

I don't think fixing documentation deserves to be called a different standard.
Please name something useful that has changed from Issue 1 to 2.

> 	The SVID WILL BE REISSUED as necessary to reflect developments
> 	in the System V Interface.

Of course!  The SVID is updates more or less at each major release.

> As I have found to my cost, Issue 2 is not always a reliable guide to V.3.

What things are not accurate?
Michael Scott Baldwin	research!mike	attmail!mike	mike at att.com
AT&T Bell Laboratories	+1 201 386 3052