SVID changes

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at quintus.uucp
Thu Aug 11 11:33:49 AEST 1988

In article <3716 at whutt.UUCP> mike at whutt.UUCP (BALDWIN) writes:
>> > ...  Do remember that there have already been two releases of the SVID,
>I don't think fixing documentation deserves to be called a different standard.
>Please name something useful that has changed from Issue 1 to 2.

Henry Spencer said that "there have already been two releases of the SVID".
This was denied by someone whose name I forget, posting from AT&T.
I pointed out that Henry Spencer is correct according to the SVID itself.
I never claimed that this was a bad thing.  My word, I _like_ the Future
Directions sections in the SVID, and wish more O/S vendors did that.

I don't know whether you'd count the behaviour of getcwd() when passed
a NULL argument as useful; but it is documented V.2 functionality which
I have known programs to use and it was dropped in SVID 2.  There are a
couple of other documented changes worth noting, and then there are the
differences they didn't notice.  (Find them yourself.)

>> As I have found to my cost, Issue 2 is not always a reliable guide to V.3.
>What things are not accurate?

To say that SVID 2 is not a reliable guide to V.3 is not to say that anything
in it is inaccurate.  SVID 2 claims only to describe V.1 and V.2.  If you
really want to know about the differences between SVID 2 and V.3, read the
V.3 release notes.  The changes aren't just additions & enhancements.  The
lesson is: never assume that code which worked in release X.Y will work in
release X.Y+1, always read the release notes *first*.

Can I please get out of this topic now?  I'm sorry I ever stepped in.