where to do line editing?

Skip Tavakkolian fst at mcgp1.UUCP
Thu Aug 4 14:49:00 AEST 1988

In article <8296 at smoke.ARPA>, gwyn at smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> In article <611 at tub.UUCP> net at tub.UUCP (Oliver Laumann) writes:
> >The terminal does not know what a `word' is.
> So teach it.

I will take this opportune moment to drag this discussion in a new
direction.  I have been thinking about possible solutions to a similar problem
after I heard a keynote speech by Steve Johnson at a Usenix conference a few
years ago.  He asked what would pipes be (take the place of pipes) in the
context of icons.  I believe some of that is being answered with the
wide acceptance of C++.  I also believe it would require another data
abstraction, perhaps as widely accepted as the 8-bit-byte, that would have
the ability to carry more information about a phenomenon or an entity.
Maybe it is time to start thinking about what kind of standard that could
be.

Sincerely
--
Fariborz ``Skip'' Tavakkolian