where to do line editing?

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.UUCP
Fri Aug 5 00:07:20 AEST 1988

In article <3903 at sequent.UUCP>, davest at sequent.UUCP (Dave Stewart) writes:
> 	This does not imply that *all* line editing should be linked
> with the applications domain.  For example, one could argue that
> cut-and-paste between windows is a sort of line editing, and this works
> fine to have implemented on the terminal.

Ideally, though, cut and paste should be done by the application too.
The application is the only one that knows what a particular cut object
*is*... for example, the thing on your window might really be part of
a bitmap image, or it might be part of a CAD drawing. If you cut it
as a bitmap (which is all the windowing package knows about), then you
lose a lot of detail. If the thing is a section of a musical score or
an audio waveform, then that's what should be stuffed into the clipboard
or save file or whatever.
--
Peter da Silva, Ferranti International Controls Corporation, sugar!ficc!peter.
"You made a TIME MACHINE out of a VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE?"