OSF joins AT&T

Campus3251 brian at apollo.COM
Thu Aug 11 08:24:00 AEST 1988

In article <1583 at edison.GE.COM> rja at edison.GE.COM (rja) writes:

>  This weeks issue of _INFOWORLD_ says that the OSF has licensed UNIX System V
>release 2 (V.2) AND licensed UNIX System V.3 from AT&T.

Well, given that they need to look at code from IBM AIX, DEC Ultrix,
Apollo Domain/OS, HP/UX and others, and that much of that code is derived
from AT&T, of course they need a source license!

>  I applaud the move by OSF since it means streams and a number of other nice
>features of V.3 will be more generally available.

Not necessarily.  It simply means that they needed a source license
to keep AT&T's lawyers off their backs.  It also means they can consider
the features of V.3, but certainly doesn't mean they they are planning
to incorporate all of them.

>UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories.

And I'm sure all those other ones I used (AIX, Ultrix, Domain/OS and HP/UX)
are trademarks of those companies.  Consider it noted.

		=brian

Dis claim 'ere:  My only connection to OSF is what I hear on the
grapevine and is not official anything, other than grapes.

--
Internet: brian at apollo.COM            UUCP: {decvax,mit-erl,yale}!apollo!brian
NETel:    Apollo: 508-256-6600 x5694  Home: 617-332-3073    FISA: 617-964-8938