OSF joins AT&T

rja rja at edison.GE.COM
Wed Aug 10 09:03:56 AEST 1988

  This weeks issue of _INFOWORLD_ says that the OSF has licensed UNIX System V
release 2 (V.2) AND licensed UNIX System V.3 from AT&T.

  I applaud the move by OSF since it means streams and a number of other nice
features of V.3 will be more generally available.  Since HP and DEC are part
of OSF it should mean that they will finally move from their bases (4.x BSD &
System V.2 respectively).  Since they plan to use OSF software and the OSF is
now licensing UNIX System V.3 from AT&T, it will almost certainly mean that
DEC, HP, et. al. will also be licensing UNIX V.3 from AT&T.

  Another result of this is to show what a wonderful TACTICAL move creating
OSF was for its members and also to show that the System V.3 licensing terms
were/are not unreasonable or especially onerous.  I hope that the OSF is not
a 'trojan horse' designed to hamper growth of UNIX in the marketplace --
I'm still watching to see what develops.....

UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories.
These views are my own and not necessarily those of GE, Fanuc, or GE-Fanuc.