OSF joins AT&T

Bruce G. Barnett barnett at vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com
Wed Aug 10 22:45:33 AEST 1988

In article <1583 at edison.GE.COM> rja at edison.GE.COM (rja) writes:

|  This weeks issue of _INFOWORLD_ says that the OSF has licensed UNIX System V
|release 2 (V.2) AND licensed UNIX System V.3 from AT&T.
|
|  I applaud the move by OSF since it means streams and a number of other nice
|features of V.3 will be more generally available.  Since HP and DEC are part
|of OSF it should mean that they will finally move from their bases (4.x BSD &
|System V.2 respectively).

Don't hold your breath.

Remember, the sponsors are under no obligation to use ANY of the
software that OSF generates/licenses.

I can't believe DEC is ever going to switch to a brand new kernal.
They may use pieces of it. But they have too much effort in Ultrix
to give it up.

Also - I doubt DEC will use HP's New Wave or OPEN LOOK, if OSF decides
on one of them as the standard UI.

This points out one of the problems I have with OSF. There is no real
unified direction. Sponsors are submitting new and nifty pieces of
technology. If people want to license it, fine.

But it will be a long, long time before these pieces present a
unified software environment. Oh it will get there eventually. That's
what all those programmers are going to do.

--
	Bruce G. Barnett 	<barnett at ge-crd.ARPA> <barnett at steinmetz.UUCP>
				uunet!steinmetz!barnett