dial() function call

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Sat Aug 6 22:51:06 AEST 1988

In article <6213 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
 >In article <28 at attibr.UUCP> vch at attibr.UUCP (Vincent C. Hatem) writes:
 >>Has anyone out there ever got the dial(3C) function call to work???
 >>
 >>I've got a 3B2/600 running SysVr3.1.1 here, which comes with HDB uucp.
 >>
 >>This crazy dial() call uses the old style uucp files, which I've re-created.
 >>(Why be consistant???)
 >>

 >Even if it did work it would also use the old-style uucp lock files
 >which would not be consistant with uucp and cu.  ...

There is a p.d. re-implementation of dial(3) in the comp.sources.unix
archives, which presumably could be hacked to support HDB-style support
and lock files (or has somebody already done this? Please speak up!). It
also provides more modem flexibility thru a "dialinfo" database.
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   wnp%dcs at killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD