dial() function call

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Aug 6 01:37:23 AEST 1988

In article <28 at attibr.UUCP> vch at attibr.UUCP (Vincent C. Hatem) writes:
>Has anyone out there ever got the dial(3C) function call to work???
>
>I've got a 3B2/600 running SysVr3.1.1 here, which comes with HDB uucp.
>
>This crazy dial() call uses the old style uucp files, which I've re-created.
>(Why be consistant???)

Even if it did work it would also use the old-style uucp lock files
which would not be consistant with uucp and cu.  There should be something
to this effect in the release notes (i.e. "Oh, by the way, dial()
doesn't work").  I ran into the same problem several years ago and
got a working dial.o from the hot-line people.  Hard to believe that
AT&T still has not fixed this in the C library.  Well, maybe not so
hard to believe, just depressing....

Les Mikesell