SVR3 console message capturing

Jeff Bowles bowles at lll-crg.llnl.gov
Thu Aug 18 23:42:38 AEST 1988

In article <184 at thebes.Thalatta.COM> gregoire at Thalatta.COM (Keith Gregoire) writes:

>I am running Bell Tech System V/386, release 3 on a Bell Tech 386.
>
>I am looking for a way of capturing console error messages (notices,
>warnings and panics) to a file (or at least a printer) such as
>the way BSD and XENIX do with dmesg...

Yes, I know this is going to three groups, but the answer is useful
to people who read all three groups.

Included in the Bell Tech release (and EVERY System V source release since
SVR3.0) is a driver called "osm". In effect, it's a driver that provides
read/write access to the circular buffer (that's by default a couple of
thousand bytes) that captures kernel printf messages. Investigate your
OS directories, you'll find it - add the driver to your kernel, reboot,
make the nodes for it (CHARACTER-SPECIAL devices, mind you!)  and then
you can just cat(1) the device.... Nothing more needed.

	Jeff Bowles