SVR3 console message capturing

Keith Gregoire gregoire at Thalatta.COM
Thu Aug 18 15:49:50 AEST 1988

I am running Bell Tech System V/386, release 3 on a Bell Tech 386.

I am looking for a way of capturing console error messages (notices,
warnings and panics) to a file (or at least a printer) such as
the way BSD and XENIX do with dmesg.  I have scoured the Bell Tech
System Admin manuals and cannot find a clue as to whether there is
an existing way to do this.  The dmesg command cannot be found.

I'd rather not reinvent the wheel.  Does anyone have a solution to
this?  I have several ideas:

1.	Obtaining a console driver to customize to send output to a file
	as well as the usual places.

2.	Obtaining a console driver that can use a hardcopy terminal as
	a console instead of the monitor and keyboard.

3.	Write a dmesg that works on SVR3.

4.	Can /dev/contty be exploited somehow?

There must be someone else who has had this same problem.  If there is a
way of doing this with the resources I already have with System V/386,
please let me know what I'm missing via email.

--

In-Real-Life: Keith Gregoire, Thalatta Corporation, (+1 206 455 9838)
Domain: gregoire at Thalatta.COM   Path: uw-beaver!uw-entropy!thebes!gregoire