SVR3 console message capturing

Eric Varsanyi ewv at zippy.berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 19 09:04:15 AEST 1988

In article <11426 at lll-winken.llnl.gov> bowles at lll-crg.llnl.gov.UUCP (Jeff Bowles) writes:
>In article <184 at thebes.Thalatta.COM> gregoire at Thalatta.COM (Keith Gregoire) writes:
>>I am looking for a way of capturing console error messages (notices,
>Included in the Bell Tech release (and EVERY System V source release since
>SVR3.0) is a driver called "osm".

If you have another machine, you can patch 'kernputc' to either 0x2f8 or
0x3f8 and all kernel printf's will go to the serial port (at 9600 baud).
The problem with osm is that it does not catch a panic message, you have to
go look at the dump to find the panic since the 'cat' will never get dispatched
after a panic. If you have another box that can record stuff off the serial
port it is a great way to log disk errors and other stuff that usually scrolls
away.