V9 Availability

George W. Leach reggie at pdn.UUCP
Wed Aug 31 02:24:02 AEST 1988

In article <8141 at alice.UUCP>, dmr at alice.UUCP writes:
> I am not pleased to see my (and Brian's) private correspondence to
> George Leach published in comp.unix.wizards by Naim Abdullah.
> Both of them abused our good will.
>
> 	Dennis Ritchie

        The personal apology is in the mail.  This article is to first
apologize to both Dennis and Brian and discuss why an apology is called
for in the first place.

        Naim Abdullah simply reposted something he saved from an article
I posted to comp.os.research back in October of 1987.  He should not be
required to apologize for his actions.

        I had forgotten about that article and in seeing it again can
see why Dennis is not happy.  First, I reprinted some e-mail that was
personal correspondence and not meant for anyone else but myself.  This
was wrong.  Second, I had no right divulging the availability of v9 and
how one would go about obtaining it.  The only people who have that
right are those who decided to make it available in the first place.

        I would just like to say to both Dennis and Brian that I am
sorry about the original posting and that it has reappeared in a more
widely read newsgroup.  One should think more about where an article
may travel before posting.  You never know when one will come back
to bite you.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207