AT&T Joining OSF

Shankar Unni shankar at hpclscu.HP.COM
Tue Aug 9 09:25:32 AEST 1988

> seems to be Mr. Chambers' point.  OSF will not have to worry about
> sales budget, software quality, etc.
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now, now..

What do you mean by "software quality"? Features? Or lack of bugs? Or a
little of both (actually a lot more of the latter than the former)?

How do you think IBM sells anything?  Product quality is usually priority
number 1 (like the Ford commercial :-)) at most of the big players in the
business.  The features that we jocks like may not be there in their entirety,
but you can be sure that what *is* there is thoroughly tested. Hell hath no
fury like the DP manager whose end-of-the-month payroll run has been disrupted
by a system failure.

*That* (and not whizz-bang bells and whistles) is what maks the big companies
big. And keeps them big.

This is not to imply anything about the actual implementation that OSF is
working on. I'm not qualified to comment on that. But I think that we can be
certain that OSF's output is going to be rigorously quality-tested by all
the companies involved before they put their names to the tapes, because of
the diverse types of hardware involved.

--
Shankar.

"The above opinions are mine and mine only, and do not in any way reflect
those of my employer"