REMOTE REJECT Failure (also annonymous uucp)

Gregg Siegfried grs at alobar.ATT.COM
Tue Aug 16 14:18:20 AEST 1988

In article <323 at occrsh.ATT.COM> rjd at occrsh.UUCP (Randy_Davis) writes:
>In article <1988Aug13.185324.1409 at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> woods at gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
>:Does anyone know of any special tricks required to allow annonymous UUCP
>:connections to HDB Uucp, specifically 386/ix's version?
>
>  Unless you have source to HDB Uucp, or have a version compiled with the
>NOSTRANGERS ifdef undefined, you are out of luck.  The default compile
>is to not allow any communication onless the caller is in the Systems file.

This is not completely true.  Randy is right, NOSTRANGERS is defined by
default, and should be, but its behaviour can be overridden.  I don't
use 386/IX, but hopefully HDB is HDB.  (Unix is Unix, right?? :-)

NOSTRANGERS is a program to execute if an unknown host logs in.  Generally,
this is defined as remote.unknown, which is a executable shell file in
/usr/lib/uucp that echoes the unknown system name into $SPOOLDIR/.Admin/Foreign.

This can be overridden by making this file unexecutable.  So a
chmod 600 remote.unknown should allow anyone to uucp into your system.

Note that this is greatly reducing the builtin HDB security, but judicious
use of the Permissions file can help make up for it.

Good luck...
--
 Gregg Siegfried            | Nothing I say should be construed as AT&T
 AT&T - Cincinnati          | policy or opinion .. I just hack here.