BSD 9.2 [History of BSD Unix]

Donn Seeley donn at utah-gr.UUCP
Wed Aug 24 17:53:34 AEST 1988

[I'm crushed that no one has remembered the notorious 8.2 BSD...  9.2
BSD was the obvious successor, but was never implemented.]

	From: allbery at ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery)

	I have heard that Berkeley is taking the time to divide the BSD
	sources into the part that requires an AT&T license and the
	part that doesn't.  Which side will the Pascal compiler fall on?

Almost certainly, the AT&T side.  It's probably not a problem that Ken
Thompson helped to write it, but it certainly is a problem that it
generates PCC (/lib/f1) intermediate code.  There's also the yacc issue
(see below).  As for the translator/interpreter system, it's possible
that these sources are independent from AT&T; if the yacc problem is
resolved, it might be possible to use the non-compiler part of Pascal.

	...  One of the things he said to me was that it required a
	modified yacc.  Is that so?  ...

Yes, Berkeley Pascal uses its own version of yacc, called 'eyacc'.

I've thought about implementing a PCC intermediate code front end for
GCC.  If Berkeley Pascal turned out to be free, such a back end could buy
you a compiler.  I'm not sure if it's worth it, though.

This is one of the few times I've heard anyone express any desire to use
Berkeley Pascal except as a last resort,

Donn Seeley    University of Utah CS Dept    donn at cs.utah.edu
40 46' 6"N 111 50' 34"W    (801) 581-5668    utah-cs!donn