New user .login file && a question

Michael "Ford" Ditto ditto at cbmvax.UUCP
Thu Aug 25 09:00:53 AEST 1988

In article <28862 at bbn.COM> mesard at BBN.COM () writes:
>grep -v "FIRST_LOGIN" ~/.login > /tmp/$user.login            #FIRST_LOGIN
>cp /tmp/$user.login ~/.login                                 #FIRST_LOGIN

>What gives?  Why would csh lose it's place in what I expected to be an
>unlink'ed but not yet forgotten file?
 ^^^^^^

You never unlinked the file.  Put a "rm ~/.login" in between the grep
and the cp.  Remember that this will lose the mode settings of ~/.login,

A better way would be something like:

	if ( -f ~/.firstlogin ) source ~/.firstlogin

and ~/.firstlogin could remove itself any time it saw fit.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

	.		.		(In Real Life: Mike Ditto)
.	    :	       ,		ford at kenobi.cts.com
This space under construction,		...!ucsd!elgar!ford
pardon our dust.			ditto at cbmvax.commodore.com