New user .login file && a question

Barry Shein bzs at encore.UUCP
Sun Aug 28 02:14:10 AEST 1988

Having a new user .login which changes itself into a not-new user
.login seems like a fine idea. What I don't understand is why do you
use all that grepping etc to a tmp file to build the other, why not
just have two .logins (.login and .login.2) and just mv the second
over the first and avoid the fancy dancing (I dunno, someday you'll
hit a full /tmp/ or something.) Seems a mv is a simpler thing, who
cares if they have a bunch of lines in common (in fact, on the first
entry the new-user .login could source the second if that's what you
want, I'd just duplicate them to avoid stuff like having the file
open.)

Occam's lektra-shave or some such.

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||