Post-UNIX UNIX (Re: AT&T Joining OSF)

George W. Leach reggie at pdn.UUCP
Fri Aug 19 23:05:28 AEST 1988

In article <8356 at smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <1271 at ficc.UUCP> peter at ficc.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>Any way of dragging research UNIX out of AT&T? It's not doing us
>>much good in there.

>A few selected universities have it (at least one in NJ and one in Oz).
>I think you would have to persuade Bell Labs that you have something to
>contribute before they would seriously consider letting you have a copy.

    At one time I was an adjunct at the New Jersey Institute of Technology
and was asked by some folks there about possibly obtaining v8.  It is true
that you will have to make a case for obtaining it.  In addition, the
system administration task requires nearly super human efforts.

    Several groups within Bellcore also have it due to grandfather clauses
in the Divestiture Agreements.  I know that Brian Redman utilizes it in
his research efforts.  I was involved in the development of a network
planning tool that we originally began our development under v8 due to
the supporting facilites.  However, for the release of the product we
ported to Pyramid, CCI and DEC machines.  There were few problems due to
the fact that all these machines were mostly BSD-based.  I am sure that
at least one VAX 11/750 must still be running v8 in my old lab, but they
were not able to obtain current release of Ingres for that environment,
so it's utility for development was limited.

>So long as we get to hear about the results of the research done inside,
>I would disagree that it's not doing us much good.

     True, but it also wets our appetite :-)

>Also, several research UNIX features have made it into recent releases
>of the commercial product, in one form or another.

     Unfortunately, they have to pass through the product groups first.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207