att & osf

Jim Frost madd at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Wed Aug 24 04:32:55 AEST 1988

In article <882 at sfmin.UUCP> rye at sfmin.UUCP (R.Schwark) writes:
|AT&T has been supporting POSIX and will continue to
|support POSIX.  A Public standard is good for all of us.  Particularly
|in that it makes other vendors more comfortable in being in the
|UNIX System market.  Remember, we're not just fighting for shares
|of the UNIX System market, we're trying to make the whole market
|*bigger*.

This is so, and was stressed by the AT&T people I talked to today, as
well as a good many other vendors who are trying to push their
products in the POSIX direction.  In addition, AT&T is obviously
following emerging standards in the workstation field (ie X windows
support in addition to Open Look)... even though their symbol is the
death star, they're not all bad guys.

And now I have my very own AT&T pen complete with its own death star
emblem.  It's been a good day ;-).

jim frost
madd at bu-it.bu.edu