CRON w/o logging (reprise)

Dave Yearke dgy at sigmast.UUCP
Thu Aug 18 02:29:32 AEST 1988

In article <755 at mccc.UUCP> pjh at mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>I recently asked for help with a problem on a 3b2/400 running SysV R3.1.2.
>To wit, after a couple of days of norml operation, cron has stopped
>writing to /usr/lib/cron/log.  Several people have suggested that the
>file may be too big, and that I should check the ulimit.

I had the same problem when we first got our 3b2/500.  The answer to my
problem turned out to be this:  I had a weekly script that renamed the
log file to Old-Log, and created an empty log file.  This confused cron,
because I believe it always has log open for write, and can't deal with
the file disappearing or being modified by anything other than itself.

Once I added code to stop cron, then rename the file and create a new one,
then restart cron, the problem disappeared.

--
		Dave Yearke, Sigma Systems Technology, Inc.
		   5813 Main St, Williamsville, NY 14221