Help about shared memory

bob desinger bd at hpsemc.HP.COM
Thu Feb 18 11:18:01 AEST 1988

Amit S. Joshi (asjoshi at phoenix.Princeton.EDU) writes:
> I wanted to share some data between two processes. I looked up the
> manual and found something called "shared memory". Could somebody tell
> me waht that is and how do I use it ?

Borrow---or better, buy---a copy of Marc Rochkind's great book
_Advanced_Unix_Programming_, 1985 by Prentice-Hall.  Look at the
"Shared Memory" section on pages 192 through 198, and read the
"Portability" section on page 206.  Not only does he explain what it
does, he gives you real code that you can use in your programs.

If you have an HP-UX Series 800 machine somewhere nearby, find out
where they keep its manuals.  HP bundles a copy of Rochkind's book
with every Series 800.

-- bd